
I have been beyond horribly delinquent in recent months posting updated stories and pictures! And I have so many things I want to post about our wonderful holidays and Christmas. But for now I wanted to share the fun weekend Matty and I had with Bop last weekend in Macon.

It was a gorgeous Saturday and I wanted to do something special and out of the ordinary. Bop suggested going to the Indian Mounds and Fort Hawkins. Two very quintessential 6th grade social studies field trip destinations. In fact, I indeed went to both of these locations on 6th grade field trips, but probably not since!

The Indian Mounds are the site of the Creek Nation in what is now Macon around 11,000 years ago. Discovered around the time the railroad was laid through Macon in the late 1800s. What was discovered were mounds of earth you could crawl into and see ancient ceremonial and religious sites and Indian burial grounds. You can still see the depressions in the clay where the indians sat in their semi circle configuration for ceremonies. Relics that were found in the area, arrowheads, pottery and other tools, are on display in the museum.

But mostly we had enjoyed the beautiful day and being outdoors. Matty enjoyed running wild (while still trying to be respectful of the unseen burial grounds - I mean, come on, I saw Poltergeist) and we explored the boardwalks that cross the swamp. We looked on turtles warming themselves in the sunshine and tried to find bald eagles.

Fort Hawkins was a quick stop for a photo op really, and doing our best to evade an overly enthusiastic volunteer tour guide.


No comments:
Post a Comment