Monday, January 10, 2011

May Your Days Be Merry and Bright...and White!

Christmas 2010 was highly anticipated and it did not disappoint. As every year since Matty came along Christmas season was kicked off by the Annual Christmas Program at DCA. And it was so cute again this year. Every class does a different song and routine about Jesus' birthday.

Matty is a child who can certainly entertain whenever he wants to. Let me be clear: "whenever HE wants to." He wanted nothing to do with most of Explorer IIs part of the program, until the music kicked up and he started to tear off his robe. I was so nervous, until I realized all the kids were doing the same and began bouncing around the stage with their jingle bells!

Daddy was with our little family for Christmas and we had such a nice time. He brought us some Schwartz-nog to start off our festivities. This is a high-octane eggnog famous in Macon with secret ingredients that are kept under the upmost security. I had always wondered what the hype was all about. Then I experienced it for myself and, let me tell you, one sip will kill any germ in your body, so keep that in mind for the next cold and flu season. My eyes are watering just thinking about it.

Christmas Eve, I had to work for about half the day unfortunately and the afternoon required some toddler structure so we spent a while putting together a gingerbread house I bought on a whim on the way home. Matty had a great time as most of the candies ended up in his mouth, not on the house, but it turned out precious anyway. But he was so amped on sugar that night at bath that he ran full-speed, head-long into the corner of the bathroom door. This child is a mess.

Then the next morning to no one's surprise, Santa had found his way to our little house and dumped likely half of his sleigh-load in our den! A basketball goal, books, a trike, oh my! And the fun was just beginning. Matty is really starting to understand what Christmas is all about and he was mesmorized that Santa had been in his house and had eaten the goodies we left out just for him. He was very patient and slowly went through his toys. Perhaps he will be like his mother and Mimi, always wanting to savor the day, in no rush to tear open the last gift. We took our time that morning, playing with Santa's treats and eating a hardy breakfast, getting all cleaned up for the day before tearing into what was waiting under the tree.

And again once the present opening began, Matty was almost unusually reserved and appreciative. He would open a gift and sit quietly playing for a while until we forced another one on him. Probably his very favorite toy of the day was the Matchbox cars and garage his Daddy gave him. He played with it all day and every single day since. If there was any doubt my baby has gone and given way to a little boy, this toy clinched it!

Total mayhem in the living room.


One of my favorite presents, was when I decided the white Christmas coming down outside our window must have been a gift from Mom. I had never seen snow in Georgia on Christmas before in my life. And it just seemed fitting that from Winston-Salem to Macon, a white Christmas touched everyone Momma loved. A very nice gift indeed!

Just before bed after a very full day of playing, eating and being together.

Ok, I had to share this. As some of you knew, I was rather nervous about cooking Christmas dinner by myself. It was the first time for me to do all alone with no Momma or Mama O to keep me in check and was desperately afraid I would ruin something (like the hundred dollar cut of beef cooking way slow in the oven). Most everything came out quite well, if not entirely timed properly, but there was a sufficient holiday meal on the table around the time I had promised. What did not turn out according to plan was the yorkshire pudding I had been so looking forward to. I followed the directions to the letter, and Daddy can verify as he carefully watched everything I did! Turns out that an electric oven can't be turned to 450 then be asked to be turned back to 350 in a matter of a few minutes. (Yes, per the recipe).

I don't remember Mom's doing this? But I have a new saying that makes me feel better. "I am a far better cook than my 33 year old oven let's me be!"

The next morning Matty was still a bit gift-hungover, but he quickly rebounded when it was time to venture out into the snow. I love these pics of my sweet snow angel.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: