"There is something joyful about storms that interrupt routine. Snow or freezing rain suddenly releases you from expectations, performance demands, and the tyranny of appointments and schedules...one can almost hear a unified sigh rise...where Nature has intervened to give respite to the weary humans slogging it out within her purview." - William P Young, The Shack
Last week's record snowfall left the city of Atlanta completely paralyzed. A few days before the storm hit, a mother of one of Matty's DCA friends seemed so concerned about her business trip coming up and not being able to get out of town. As usual, I completely ignored the notion that we would get a break from our daily duties, feeling in my heart at best we would get a three-day weekend. I never could have imagined the gift that would befall! An entire week home with Matty, was a gift beyond all gifts. I worked, as the rest of Sparks Grove did, to the best of my abilities from my kitchen and not my office. But doing so in a headband and socks did a lot of good for this hard-working Mama.
While on Facebook and emails most everyone seemed to be grumbling about snowplows and preparedness, I relished in the simple gift of time at home, without having sacrificed vacation days! I posted on the blog 4 times, enjoyed countless hours of downtime, playing and watching movies with Matty, I cooked actual food including cupcakes, our own sweet little snowballs! Completely ignored messes and ideal times for showers.


To ensure I could actually make it out of the driveway for a few hours on Friday, I spent Matty's Thursday nap shoveling the inch thick layer of ice from our driveway. It was hard work, and I felt man-ish, but I gotta say, I did sort of like it! At this point yes, I admit Matty and I are both hungry to get back to our normal routine and we're looking forward to school and work and the feeling of being productive. But it was a wonderful blessing. I know Matty will never remember but his Mom will, that much I know.
"Even if it's hardly more than a day or two, somehow each person feels like the master of his or her own world, simply because those little droplets of water freeze as they hit the ground."
No comments:
Post a Comment