Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dreaming of a White Christmas

It was beginning to look a lot like Christmas...and a white Christmas at that! A few weeks ago, we ventured back to our home-away-from-home for the annual Highlands-Cashiers Christmas parade. In 6 years we've never been and I thought Matty would surely enjoy the festivities. We awoke that Saturday morning to a gorgeous blanket of snow on the ground, flakes still falling and crystalline trees as fas as the eye could see! It was so exciting! I drew open the curtains and Matty just said "woooowwwww!!"

The parade that followed was awfully cold but worth the cold noses and hot chocolate. Parade stars included the town's mayor, the high school homecoming court, the garden club, assorted dogs from the Humane Society, antique cars, and a frightening looking tooth fairy! Such hokey small town fun for a moment I thought I was in that Chevy Chase movie "Funny Farm!" However, amidst the cloggers and waves, I was truly moved by the old army Jeep, the aging war veteran in full uniform in the passenger seat and the sign which read: "This WWII Jeep went from Normandy to Berlin."

In spite of the cold, Matty loved the firetrucks and the dogs, but mostly the little snowman prize he was handed during the parade. This little snowman has become one of our most prized possessions and Matty's proudly named him "Tummy." Now all snowmen are "Tummy" and I think it's about the cutest thing I've ever heard in my life!
I wish I'd known the snow wouldn't even last until we made it back home, I would have ventured out to take some snapshots. By naptime it was almost all gone and we weren't able to break in the new sled...hopefully Christmas will be a different story!

No comments: