Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Feeling Puny


For all the handwashing and Purell, it happened anyway: Matty officially has his first ear infection :(

What began a couple of weeks ago as a typical cold, then went away, has charged back with a vengeance. Monday morning, Matty awoke with a fever of about 100-101, which was acceptable to still take him to school, which we did, while knowing full well we would have to pick him up if his fever climbed. And though it came down after some Tylenol, climb it did. So Ben took off work and they had a boys' afternoon, but it was cut short when his fever spiked to a whopping 103.5! Ben called, I heard that number and we were on our way to the pediatrician.

What amazes me is this child's demeanor never wavered! He was smiling and laughing through it all. Once at the doctor and almost nude, he just kept the charm going. The nurses couldn't believe a baby with a temp that high could be that happy! (Both a blessing and curse). I was also shocked once he was weighed and measured! He was 14 lb 4 oz and 24 inches a mere 3 weeks ago (35th and 10th percentiles respectively). To my surprise he is now 15 pounds 15 ounces and 25 1/2 inches long! If I am calculating it correctly that is about the 50th percentile on both counts! Pretty impressive growing, Matty!

He was so good until Dr. Ellerine started probing in his ear. Once those cries started, I had a good idea what our diagnosis would be. And it was a full blown ear infection. And once home, and bathed, and in his jammies ready for bed, the poor baby threw up every ounce of his dinner and amoxicillin. Holding Matty, both of us covered in throw up, standing in a wet puddle of regurgitated formula, I remember thinking, "I'm not quite sure where to start!" And again the happy baby started smiling again as soon as he was done emptying his tummy. Poor little guy.

Today he is at home with his Daddy. I am so jealous, I wish I could be there too to just snuggle up on this rainy day. Hopefully tomorrow he will be well enough to go back to school. All things considered, I think we managed our first sick baby experience pretty well, and I'm thankful I have a 4 day weekend coming up to spend with my little sicky.

No comments: