They say you never know what you've got 'til it's gone. Or in this case, almost gone. After much contemplation, Bop recently put the house in Highlands on the market. I'll admit it. I panicked. I love this place for countless reasons. And at the thought of losing it, I was deeply saddened at the realization that I'd had the perfect escape for our busy family all this time, and I'd let it slip away. I hadn't made making all those precious memories with our family my priority.
For all the hours a week I spend complaining, inwardly or outwardly, that we stay so overwhelmingly busy, it wasn't until recently that I placed the appropriate blame on myself for my part in that fact. 2 demanding jobs, 2 boys in 2 schools at very different life stages, each spreading their respective wings in different activities. For me, it's taken a few years to truly get the message. That it's really up to the Mom to carve time for life, out of "life." Well I got the message loud and clear, and so we piled in the car and ran away from home Memorial Day weekend.
Henry joined Matty and I for a walk around the circle and up to the Apple Mountain playground the afternoon we arrived.
Up in the mountain air, creativity was breathed into Matty and he was inspired to write a story. It was entitled, "The Moose Hunt." I wrote and he illustrated. Or so he says. In actuality he instructed me on each and every word.
So happy to be here!
On Saturday, it was time for a milestone in a young boy's life. He went fishing for the first time (ok not really, but sort of) and caught his first fish at Andy's Trout Farm. Yeah I get it, it would have been hard not to be successful at a place called that.
Ready for Daddy to bait my hook.
The ol' pro at work.
Fishing takes patience.
And a sense of humor.
And a swing set when it's taking way longer than you were promised.
Still at it. I offered to get a stick of dynamite.
At long last, a bite! Hahahaha take that sucka!
Dumb trout.
Matty and his trophy fish!
Yeah we maybe sorta poked this guy's eyeball out by mistake.
Andy's has a strict "Do not throw fish back" policy, so the family of 4 wherein only 1 person really likes fish took home 4 trout in all. Ben grilled them up and as 1 of the 3 non-fish eaters I can attest it was in fact very good!
Matty proudly watches his Dad preparing his catch.
I know buddy, I'm not used to having this intimate a relationship with my dinner either.
The rest of the weekend was spent playing, poking around downtown, playing with new toys from town and brothers just monkeying around.
Lots of monkeying around!
After all there's no rules at Apple Mountain!
(Actually I'm still sort of a rule hound but what's a few jumps on the furniture?
Don't tell Bop! :))
And I'm happy to report that 343 Apple Mountain Circle, Highlands, NC is still a Murphey residence and it seems it will remain that way for quite some time to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment