Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Garden State of Mind

Two weekends ago, Matty and I finally were able to get ourselves up to New Jersey to see Ben for a long overdue visit. It had been a month since the three of us were under the same roof and it certainly was the sweetest reunion. Ben met us as deep into the airport as security would allow, and I am sure onlookers could see how happy we all were to hug each other once again! We spent our first day just soaking each other up! Ben showed us his job site and his progress so far. The factory is impressive, huge and was fun to see up close and personal. Sadly, his progress has been slow-going due to delays ever step along the way, as is typical. We should have been on the downward slope by now, but right now we just don't know when we can put this project, and this distance, behind us.

Saturday morning we went into Philadelphia which is only about 15-20 minutes or so from Ben's apartment. I'd never been before and was really getting excited to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. I simply didn't realize what a tourist attraction Philly was. The line to see the Liberty Bell was hours long! And since there was no way we were waiting in line with Matty that long, I still have yet to see that iconic piece of American History. Independence Hall probably would have struck more of a patriotic chord had it not been covered up in scaffolding. What I managed to see was nice though!

Central Philly, for me, was really a site to behold. Not to get too "Star Spangled Banner" on you, but I was surprised how I felt transported back to another time. It was a perfect fall day, and the statues, historic buildings, cobblestone streets, geometric gardens and old brick homes all quietly spoke of a turning point in history. I could feel the passion of our forefathers and their hope for our country and I was filled with pride. The eternal flame and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier struck me most on our walk that morning: "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Perhaps a lesser-known American icon, Robert Morris, also caught my eye as we wandered through the Park. One of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, he was known as the "Financier of the Revolution." A prominent national association of bankers (RMA: the Robert Morris Association) named for him has a former president, who just happened to live in my house when I was growing up - so this pic is for Bop.

But don't think we spent the whole afternoon singing "God Bless America." We also blessed the Philly Cheesesteak, which I had never had before but was determined to have before I left. On Food Network they had done a piece on two rival Philly Cheesesteak establishments in Philly: Pat's and Geno's. They apparently have a famous rivalry, sit caddy-corner from each other in South Philly and daily have lines that wrap around city blocks. We opted for Pat's (because I'd been ordered by a coworker to go there). You have to know exactly what you want and how to order it when you get to the window, and if you screw up, they send you to the back of line. That was too much pressure for me, so I sent Ben while Matty and I waited hungrily. It was quite good I have to say. That is 'til Matty turned to my sandwich and said, "Mommy what is that?" I told him what it was and offered him a bite. He said, "no thank you, it looks like poopy." It might be awhile til my next one...


No comments: