Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Christmas Tradition

Who doesn't remember toning down the wild anticipation of Christmas Eve with the peaceful, easy tunes of "The Nutcracker" ballet? Well I do. Something about the heart-pounding excitement of that glorious last day of waiting, knowing that Santa was finally just hours away. Then when the sun went down, and the house was lit with candles and crackling fires, and tummies were full, the symphony played on the old reel-to-reel the wordless melodies which rang home the Christmas traditions of family, love and togetherness...Well, at least that's how I remember it. Jennifer took ballet growing up and would try to teach me the right toe points and twirls she did on the local stage. I still remember a photo of her in her costume on the table in Momma and Daddy's bedroom. We girls got new nutcrackers every year for so many years, which adorn my living room now, and with which our son plays each December.

So when Little Mimi and Amanda asked if we wanted to take Matty and Ansley to the Fox Theater to see "The Nutcracker," I was really excited to see it again through his eyes. The children were so charming in their theatre attire this past Sunday. Matty loved the colorful lights in front of the Fox and the enchanting night sky ceiling of the Fox was not missed either. When the lights dimmed and the crowd hushed, Matty and Ansley were all eyes on the stage wondering what was going to happen! Then the dancers, the colors, the music, the effects really seemed to dazzle him as much as I'd hoped. I only wish I had a picture of their little faces. Especially when the snow started to fall on us from above!


I'd been worried that theatre etiquette would be lost on Matty, but he really was so good. The ballet was about twice as long as his attention span I'd say, but he clearly enjoyed it, and as we walked out said, "I really loved the Nutcracker!" At one point during his restlessness I whispered to him if he stayed still and quiet when we got home he could have 2 cookies. So when we got in the car I asked what he wanted to do when we got home, and he replied quite matter-of-factly: "Cookie, Mommy. 2 cookies."

No comments: