Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fun and Father's Day

With more time on our hands, we're filling it with fun and friends! Brian, Caroline and Jake McNeely came over last Saturday for a long overdue visit and the boys had a great time chasing each other around, sharing toys and taking turns while Brian flipped them over his head! Jake's getting so big and even more "boy" since the last time we saw him. Time's going too fast, I wish it'd slow down!

The next day, Matty and I headed to Macon for a late weekend with Mom and Dad. I took off work on Monday so we could get a nice visit in and not have to rush back. We had a nice time, just relaxing and being together in the air conditioning. Matty was surprised with several new toys that will stay at Mimi and Bop's and he loved introducing himself to them! Mom is also doing great. She has 3 chemo rounds checked off and is off to a great start with radiation. Not quite to the halfway mark, but it's getting closer everyday!

Ben had a great Father's Day! Having worked to the point of heat exhaustion on a solar project the previous two days, on Sunday he was able to sleep late and rest. Matty and I gave him his Father's Day cards and his present: Season 7 of M*A*S*H for his collection. Ben spent the day on the couch, hydrating and recuperating and watching the next installment in his 4077 collection. For dinner I even surprised myself, cooking a fabulous whole beef tender to medium-rare perfection (i.e. pink and not charred to a gray piece of yuck, and yes it does merit mentioning! :) Ben took Monday off to conclude his recovery and is all better now and promises to never push it that far again!

Most importantly, Matty is doing awesome! Boy, that personality shines through more and more everyday. From his sounds and faces, this child is ALL boy! And he just cracks me up. This weekend we were in the kitchen and he was bringing me letters from the Alphabet on the fridge. He brought me an "H" and I was very appreciative. Then he brought me an "I" and I simply cracked up...he brought me "Hi" :) At school, they've been working on sign language and it's really taken root. At breakfast today, he signed and said "more" clear as day on both counts when I briefly paused in feeding him his morning yogurt. I was so impressed! I had tried to start sign language last year, but not being with him during the day, it fell by the wayside with no reinforcement from school. But now I think we'll start again and add a few more to the mix.

All in all, us Brownings are doing great and hoping you all are too! And we're wishing my parents a very happy early 41st anniversary (Saturday)! You know, Dad, I did read that the 41st is the "land" anniversary...uh oh!

No comments: