What can I say? 2009 is shaping up to be anything but dull. Most of you know my wonderful Mom was diagnosed with a recurrence of Ovarian Cancer back in January. However, she is doing just great! The cancer has showed no spread and we're just trying to schedule her surgery, which should be much easier than the one 2 years ago. And she should be very strong again in time to celebrate Matty's 1st birthday later this month. Mom's recurrence on the heels of my friend's passing in December got me fired up to start a Relay for Life team to benefit the American Cancer Society. I am having a great time raising money for my team and planning for the big event in May. (Shameless plug in case anyone is interested in making a donation who has not already http://main.acsevents.org/goto/lesliebrowning) And MANY THANKS to those of you who have contributed already. Thanks to your generous donations, our team is currently ranked #2 out of 40 teams at our Relay and we're more than 70% of the way to our goal of $5,000. I truly could not be more appreciative of the support for this cause.
In early February we celebrated Ben's low-key but nonetheless happy birthday! I was hoping to take him out for a special grown up dinner but we can't seem to break ourselves from nights in as a threesome! It's simply the best!
Matty and I have been traveling a good bit since I last wrote. We went to Winston-Salem to see Aunt Jen, Kevin and Hud for Jen's birthday in January. We had a great long weekend there just vegging out and spending time together. Matty decided that Sugar's crate was just perfect for him. He quickly wanted out once he wandered in, but I said, "Hey, Buddy, don't do the crime if you can't do the time!" He and Huddy are getting to be big buds. H is so good with him and I can't wait to see how Matty learns more and more at his feet as the years go on.
After Mom was released from the hospital and had had a little time to recover, Matty and I went to Highlands to give her some good Matty-lovin' time. It's hard to be scared or apprehensive when you're watching Matty tear into the house at every turn! It was cold and drizzly all weekend but we had fun playing indoors. Matty found the basket of DVDs and it was the best treasure ever. He threw them all on the floor and then started to put them all back. Except for "The Thomas Crowne Affair," he spent a while hanging onto that one. (insert awkward laughter here.)
Matty's friend Jake turned 1 this week! His party was on Saturday (on his Daddy, Brian's, birthday) and it was so much fun! Lots of friends came out to celebrate, including Brenden and Lily. Matty loved playing with Jake's toys and trying new yummy foods like sausage cheese balls and cupcakes. He loved his party favor, a pail and shovel. We're ready for summer now!
No comments:
Post a Comment