Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

This was another big week for Matt: he survived his first overnight trip. Ben, Matt and I headed to Macon on Saturday so we could introduce him to all of his cousins (Clay, Lynn, Hollis, J.C., Craig, Dawn, Stephen and Ryan). We had a great time! For as close as we live to Macon, sadly we don't get home nearly as much as we should so it was nice to be able to see the family and hang out and make those special first introductions. We also were able to stop by and visit a very special lady to me and my family, Kathleen Maxfield. Practically my surrogate grandmother when I was growing up, my friends and I spent countless hours in her living room hearing stories of her and her husband's worldly travels. As she was such an influential person since I was as young as Matt, it was extremely special to be able to introduce her to our son.

And it must be said that my first Mother's Day started with a bang! (Of thunder, a crash of lightning and a bam as a giant limb hit our roof...) Matt woke me up Mother's Day morning to politely request an early meal around 5AM, and shortly after he fell back to sleep I heard the weather sirens going off. It took this new mom all of about 2 seconds to grab him, his pacy and to head downstairs where my folks were already watching the weather. The storm was crazy and an f2 tornado ripped through Macon and did manage to cause some significant damage around town. Luckily with the exception of the huge limb and water and power loss, Mom and Dad's house escaped unscathed. As Matt and I were cuddled in the central most part of the house with no windows, I thought "I don't think I will be forgetting this Mother's Day anytime soon!"

No comments: